For Spring, Scott Sternberg, Creative Director of Band of Outsiders was inspired by the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock
Didier Malige for AVEDA created 2 looks that were “easy and undone”, almost as if each model “did her hair herself”.
For Band of Outsiders girl:
1. Divide dry hair into two sections with a straight middle part.
2. Working with one section at a time, twist each section of hair away from the face, while applying Aveda Brilliant Retexturizing Gel.
3. Continue twisting hair and working in the gel until hair is nearly saturated.
4. Holding the twisted section out with your fingertips, use a blowdryer to set hair. Continue blowdrying and twisting until hair is completely dry.
5. Pin the twist to the side of the head, creating a large spiral. Leave for several minutes to set.
6. Repeat on the other side of the head.
7. Once the spirals have set, remove pins so that the twists fall onto each shoulder. Rake hair with your fingers to create waves.
8. For added texture, scrunch Aveda Pure Hair Abundance Potion into waves.
9. Finish with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray. —Via AVEDA
For Boy, Didier’s hair styling inspiration touched on an almost “Amish” feel. He used his favorite product AVEDA Air Control to “create an illusion of lightness”.
For Band of Outsiders Boy:
1. Mist Aveda Air Control Hair Spray throughout hair from roots to ends to texturize the hair and give pliable hold.
2. Gently brush hair through using a Mason Pearson brush.
3. Using a wide-toothed comb, back comb hair from mid-length to ends, leaving the roots untouched. This creates grip and hold on the hair, making it easier to pull back and secure.
4. Twist hair back and create a loose chignon at the occipital bone. Pin into place.
5. Gently back comb the top layer of hair and the chignon in a feathering motion, creating additional wisps and a slightly “undone” look.
6. Loosen a few wisps of hair around the face for a natural, slightly mussed feeling.
7. Hold style in place with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray. —Via AVEDA
Shiseido’s Dick Page once again created two distinct looks to compliment the “Boy” and “Girl” by Band of Outsiders collections.
To get the looks:
For “girl”, Dick Page created a more subtle, feminine look. Skin was prepped with Shiseido The Skincare Multi-Energizing Cream. On the face, Shiseido Makeup Accentuating Color Stick in Glistening Flush (S3) and Rouge Flush (S4) were blended together and applied with a sponge onto the cheeks. Mimicking a lightly “sunburned” effect. No makeup was used on the eyes.
Brows were groomed using a custom color for each model, created by mixing Shiseido Makeup Shimmering Cream Eye Color in Patina (GR707), Sable (BR709), and Leather (BR306) in different combinations. Lips were hydrated with Shiseido Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment, and colored with Shiseido Shimmering Rouge Lipstick in Temptress (RD320) blotted on with his fingertips.
For “boy”, the look was more androgynous, tough, and edgy. Skin was prepped with Shiseido The Skincare Multi-Energizing Cream. On the face, Shiseido Makeup Accentuating Color Stick in Glistening Flush (S3) and Rouge Flush (S4) were blended together and applied with a sponge onto the cheeks. Again, mimicking a lightly “sunburned” effect.
For eyes, Shiseido Makeup Accentuating Cream Eye Liner in Black (#1) was applied to the top lash line and on the water line of the lower inner eye. Shiseido Makeup Perfect Mascara Full Definition was applied to top lashes only. Once again, brows were groomed using a custom color for each model, created by mixing Shiseido Makeup Shimmering Cream Eye Color in Patina (GR707), Sable (BR709), and Leather (BR306) in different combinations. Shiseido Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment was used to hydrate lips, which were then dabbed with a light layer of foundation to neutralize the natural color of the models’ lips.
See the full photo set here.
All Photos and Content ®2011 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost