Preen’s S/S ’12 show was one of the most surprisingly beautiful shows I attended all season. I knew to expect an elegant collection, but left the show completely blown away by just how gorgeous and colorful everything was! Every aspect of the show, from the silhouettes of the dresses to the hair gave me a sense of an updated, neon, neo-Victorian meets 1940’s by way of “Blade Runner” vibe.
The hair, by Paul Hanlon for AVEDA was a geisha-inspired, but reminiscent of a modern, youthful update of the popular 1940’s Victory Rolls style.
HAIR STEP-BY-STEP BY PAUL HANLON FOR AVEDA
1. Prep hair by spritzing throughout with Aveda Volumizing Tonic, blow dry with a round brush. Work hair away from the face and neck to keep the hairline clean. If hair is dry or damaged, begin by prepping with Aveda Brilliant Damage Control, and follow with Aveda Volumizing Tonic.
2. Once dry, gently brush hair away from the face and let hair part naturally on the left side. Smooth hair with a fine-toothed comb and a light mist of Aveda Air Control Hair Spray.
3. On the right side of the head at the top of the ear, begin to twist hair toward the back of the head, staying just on top of the parietal ridge. Use a tail comb to neatly bring hair up into the roll, and secure the roll with “U” pins. Avoid twisting too tightly at this point.
4. Continue twisting toward the back of the head following the natural hairline. Twist all the way to the nape, secure hair with a clip.
5. Repeat twist on the left side, starting slightly lower, one to two inches above the top of the ear, sloping downward at the back of the head to create a “U” shape when twists meet at the nape.
6. Neatly brush hair upward from the hairline to create a seamless connection between the two twists. This gives the appearance of a single, smooth, twisted roll that snugly wraps around the head.
7. Use Aveda Air Control Hair Spray and the end of a tail comb to smooth all wisps and flyaways while replacing “U” pins with bobby pins, snugly tucked and hidden.
8. Finish with Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine. — Via AVEDA
Paul also explained an easy way for the average woman to replicate this style– by twisting 2 ponytails near the front of the head, rolling, and pinning. Secure the style with Paul’s favorite product: AVEDA Air Control, a dry hairspray.
The retro inspired collection was modernized beautifully by the use of bright, showstopping color, and digital prints.
“This collection is a modern take on Victorian aesthetics. Flowers are digitized; colors and lines are defined by the way light reflects and refracts through a prism. The result is an intersection of romance and pure modernity.” — Thea Bregazzi for Preen
The collection was even more impressive on the runway:
Overall? Preen was one of my top 5 favorite shows of the season!
See the full photo set here.
All Photos and Content ®2011-2012 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost