Christian Siriano’s inspiration for his f/w 2012 collection came from the 1930’s film Vampire Bat. Which resulted in one of the most literal translations of a designers influence, into a corresponding backstage beauty look– that I found to be very beautiful, and quite unique.
The bat motif appeared not only in the clothing, but hair and makeup as well.
AVEDA’s Global Creative Director Antoinette Beenders created a hair style that mimicked the shape of a bat, keeping hair sleek and close to the head up top, while spreading out in the back to mimic wings.
To get the look:
1. Prep hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother and blowdry straight.
2. Create a section at the top of the head by parting hair along the parietal ridge on both sides. Secure hair on top of head with an elastic.
3. Continue the parts on both sides of the head toward the nape. Secure center section at the back of the head with an elastic.
4. Comb out the loose section on the left side of the head and prep with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray. Create an inverted braid, starting at the temple – 1 to 2 inches above the ear – working toward the nape, following the natural curve of the hairline.
5. Secure the braid at the nape with an elastic and flat iron loose ends.
6. Repeat on the right side of the head. Mist both braids with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.
7. Release the section at the back of the head and comb out.
8. Flat iron hair in one-inch sections, prepping with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray to add gloss and light hold, moving up the from nape to crown.
9. Remove the elastic from the top section and use a flat iron to smooth the hair, working in horizontal sections from sides to center part. Let the hair fall over the braids, covering them completely, and smooth out with a fine-toothed comb.
10. Pull the hair back, as if for a low pony tail, in a wide, flat swath. Use pins to hold hair in place, anchoring them into the braids on left and right sides of the swath.
11. Secure hair by placing a 3 to 4 inch metal comb horizontally at the nape. Remove pins.
12. Mist with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray to tame flyaways and add shine. Spritz with Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine for added gloss to finish.
MAC lead makeup artist Polly Osmond took the bat motif even further, creating a dark, dramatic, bat wing inspired lip.
To get the look:
Faces were kept natural, using only MAC Powder Blush in Melba on cheekbones, and a light dab of eye gloss on eyelids. Lips were lined with MAC Lip Pencil in Nightmoth, then filled with MAC Lipstick in Media. Clear Lip Glass was added “at the last minute”.
See the full photo set here.
All Photos and Content ®2012 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost