Katie Gallagher’s Spring 2016 collection was a love letter to her longtime NYC neighborhood, Chinatown. Featuring “bright colors, bold shapes, and strong aromatic scents that define the culture…” the clothing featured brighter colors this season, such as yellow and red, and plenty of texture.
Backstage, the theme of Chinatown translated into a modern Geisha inspired lip, and an updated chignon, that featured a twisted bun woven with rabbit hair scrunchies. Joseph DiMaggio for DAVINES led the hair team.
To get the look:
1. Prep clean hair with Davines More Inside This Is A Volume Boosting Mousse, distributing evenly from roots to ends.
2. Gather the hair on top of the head into a high ponytail with your hands.
3. Pull the tail through half way to create a loop at the base of the pony, securing with an elastic.
4. Wrap a (fur) scrunchie around the elastic as a base to wrap the tail around.
5. Flatten the loop toward the back of the head to create a half chignon and secure with bobby pins.
6. Use a topsy turvy tool to pull the tail through the fur scrunchie, repeating as many times needed to come to the end of the ponytail, creating a woven effect.
7. Clean up fly aways with Davines More Inside This Is A Medium Hair Spray.
8. Finish the look with NEW Davines More Inside This Is A Shimmering Mist for shine and polish.
I sadly arrived too late to interview the beauty team before the show began, but MAC Cosmetics makeup artists were responsible for this gorgeous look, inspired by Geishas, and the style of the band members from 80’s group Strawberry Switchblade.
I’ve been photographing Katie’s shows since my very first season of NYFW. So it’s been fun to see her evolve and grow as a designer. As usual, her Spring collection was one of my favorites of the season.
The sheer dresses were stand out pieces.
Designer Katie Gallagher
See the full photo set here.
All Photos and Content ®2015-2016 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost