All Photos and Content ®2017 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost
Katie Gallagher F/W 2015
All Photos and Content ® 2017 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost.
Today I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon shooting behind the scenes images at Katie Gallagher’s Fall/Winter 2016 collection press preview at The Roxy Hotel, in Tribeca.
Entitled “Veiled”, the monochromatic collection was influenced by Gothic architecture, stained glass, Harry Clarke illustrations, and Gallagher’s own very first collection “Veil” from Spring/Summer 2010.
I’ve photographed Katie’s shows every season for the last 6 years, and it was even more exciting to see the line than usual, and to spend multiple hours noticing the subtle details, and craftsmanship of the garments.
It’s been wonderful to see Katie grow as a designer over the years, and finally be recognized for all her hard work. I’m excited to see what the future has in store for her!
See the full photo set here.
All Photos and Content ®2016 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost
Katie Gallagher’s Spring 2016 collection was a love letter to her longtime NYC neighborhood, Chinatown. Featuring “bright colors, bold shapes, and strong aromatic scents that define the culture…” the clothing featured brighter colors this season, such as yellow and red, and plenty of texture.
Backstage, the theme of Chinatown translated into a modern Geisha inspired lip, and an updated chignon, that featured a twisted bun woven with rabbit hair scrunchies. Joseph DiMaggio for DAVINES led the hair team.
To get the look:
1. Prep clean hair with Davines More Inside This Is A Volume Boosting Mousse, distributing evenly from roots to ends.
2. Gather the hair on top of the head into a high ponytail with your hands.
3. Pull the tail through half way to create a loop at the base of the pony, securing with an elastic.
4. Wrap a (fur) scrunchie around the elastic as a base to wrap the tail around.
5. Flatten the loop toward the back of the head to create a half chignon and secure with bobby pins.
6. Use a topsy turvy tool to pull the tail through the fur scrunchie, repeating as many times needed to come to the end of the ponytail, creating a woven effect.
7. Clean up fly aways with Davines More Inside This Is A Medium Hair Spray.
8. Finish the look with NEW Davines More Inside This Is A Shimmering Mist for shine and polish.
Long one of my favorite young fashion designers, Katie Gallagher is also one of the most creative minds in the NYC fashion world. Season after season, every single detail of her collections conspires to create not just a clothing collection, but an entire new conceptual “world” inspired by her current theme.
For Fall, the collection was inspired by synesthesia, “a neurological phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.”
Clothing wise, this translated to colorblocking, structured pants, and slinky slip dresses. Many of which were topped off with witch-like hoods on the models’ heads.
//As is tradition at Katie’s shows, the hair and makeup complimented the theme perfectly. MAC Director of Makeup Artistry Romero Jennings (a frequent Katie Gallagher collaborator) created a striking red lip that matched the corresponding red pieces in the collection .
Starting Monday February 23rd, check back for full in depth photographic reports from backstage, and the runways of over two dozen New York Fashion Week shows. Until then, everyone have a wonderful (cold!) weekend!
®2015 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost