All Photos and Content ®2015 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost.
For Spring, Scott Sternberg, Creative Director of Band of Outsiders was inspired by the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock
Didier Malige for AVEDA created 2 looks that were “easy and undone”, almost as if each model “did her hair herself”.
For Band of Outsiders girl:
1. Divide dry hair into two sections with a straight middle part.
2. Working with one section at a time, twist each section of hair away from the face, while applying Aveda Brilliant Retexturizing Gel.
3. Continue twisting hair and working in the gel until hair is nearly saturated.
4. Holding the twisted section out with your fingertips, use a blowdryer to set hair. Continue blowdrying and twisting until hair is completely dry.
5. Pin the twist to the side of the head, creating a large spiral. Leave for several minutes to set.
6. Repeat on the other side of the head.
7. Once the spirals have set, remove pins so that the twists fall onto each shoulder. Rake hair with your fingers to create waves.
8. For added texture, scrunch Aveda Pure Hair Abundance Potion into waves.
9. Finish with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray. —Via AVEDA
For Boy, Didier’s hair styling inspiration touched on an almost “Amish” feel. He used his favorite product AVEDA Air Control to “create an illusion of lightness”.
For Band of Outsiders Boy:
1. Mist Aveda Air Control Hair Spray throughout hair from roots to ends to texturize the hair and give pliable hold.
2. Gently brush hair through using a Mason Pearson brush.
3. Using a wide-toothed comb, back comb hair from mid-length to ends, leaving the roots untouched. This creates grip and hold on the hair, making it easier to pull back and secure.
4. Twist hair back and create a loose chignon at the occipital bone. Pin into place.
5. Gently back comb the top layer of hair and the chignon in a feathering motion, creating additional wisps and a slightly “undone” look.
6. Loosen a few wisps of hair around the face for a natural, slightly mussed feeling.
7. Hold style in place with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray. —Via AVEDA
Shiseido’s Dick Page once again created two distinct looks to compliment the “Boy” and “Girl” by Band of Outsiders collections.
To get the looks:
For “girl”, Dick Page created a more subtle, feminine look. Skin was prepped with Shiseido The Skincare Multi-Energizing Cream. On the face, Shiseido Makeup Accentuating Color Stick in Glistening Flush (S3) and Rouge Flush (S4) were blended together and applied with a sponge onto the cheeks. Mimicking a lightly “sunburned” effect. No makeup was used on the eyes.
Brows were groomed using a custom color for each model, created by mixing Shiseido Makeup Shimmering Cream Eye Color in Patina (GR707), Sable (BR709), and Leather (BR306) in different combinations. Lips were hydrated with Shiseido Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment, and colored with Shiseido Shimmering Rouge Lipstick in Temptress (RD320) blotted on with his fingertips.
For “boy”, the look was more androgynous, tough, and edgy. Skin was prepped with Shiseido The Skincare Multi-Energizing Cream. On the face, Shiseido Makeup Accentuating Color Stick in Glistening Flush (S3) and Rouge Flush (S4) were blended together and applied with a sponge onto the cheeks. Again, mimicking a lightly “sunburned” effect.
For eyes, Shiseido Makeup Accentuating Cream Eye Liner in Black (#1) was applied to the top lash line and on the water line of the lower inner eye. Shiseido Makeup Perfect Mascara Full Definition was applied to top lashes only. Once again, brows were groomed using a custom color for each model, created by mixing Shiseido Makeup Shimmering Cream Eye Color in Patina (GR707), Sable (BR709), and Leather (BR306) in different combinations. Shiseido Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment was used to hydrate lips, which were then dabbed with a light layer of foundation to neutralize the natural color of the models’ lips.
See the full photo set here.
All Photos and Content ®2011 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost
8,821 Photos Later…
Full posts to come, once I have a break in my show schedule. 🙂
®2011 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost
Shiseido’s Dick Page never ceases to amaze me with the way he constantly re-invents old “classic” makeup looks again and again for the runway. Fall 2011 at United Bamboo was no different, where a traditional cat eye was “inverted” to create a stunning look.
To get the look:
Next, apply Shiseido Shimmering Creme Color in Mist with a brush blending toward the brow. Then smooth the Creme Color below the lower lash line, under the black eyeliner.
®2011 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost.
The first days of NYFW seem so long ago! I’ve decided against posting things in order, since that’s boring, but know a lot of you are probably aching for some of that early coverage. My backstage images from Rachel Comey’s show, which turned out downright ethereal from amazing sunset lighting, seemed like the perfect choice to post next.
The lighting coerced me into making the decision to stay backstage for the entirety of the show. Held at Chelsea Piers at 5pm, in a studio space with floor to ceiling windows, I just couldn’t resist the warm glow shining down onto the models. (And no, none of these have been edited in any way!)
I saw a lot of amazing, and truly unique hair this season, but this has got to be one of my tops looks for Fall:
Maybe it’s because (with much help!) I could actually see myself pulling this look off. : )
The hair team was led by Hirofumi Kera for Shiseido.
Wish I would have had a chance to get the step by step instructions!
WHO: Band of Outsiders
WHAT: Spring 2011 Collections
WHERE: 9/11/10 at Center 548
Backstage, Shiseido’s Dick Page led the team of makeup artists to create two distinct looks for both the Boy, and Girl by Band of Outsiders models.
For the “Boy” look, most of the face was bear with the exception of Natural Finish Cream Concealer covering up any blemishes. The focus, was on the eyes. Eyes were lined with Automatic Fine Eyeliner in Black on the lower lash line, and in the lid’s crease.
For the “Girl” look, once again skin was touched up using only Natural Finish Cream Concealer. Shimmering Rouge Lipstick in Golden Dragon was applied to cheeks, temples, and the bridge of the nose with a damp sponge. Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment was used on eyelids. The look was finished by dabbing Shimmering Rouge Lipstick in Lounge onto the lips using the makeup artist’s fingertips.
Thickening Spray was used to prep hair, which was then pulled back into a pony tail, and woven into a thick braid. The braid was blow dried, then the pony was released and finger combed, to give hair a wavy look. Alternate looks kept the pony tail, but and left the braid undone.
Once preparations were complete, the presentation began downstairs with Boy by Band of Outsiders. Upon arriving, guests were greeted by models standing on a set of bleachers, modeling the Boy looks.
Next, Girl by Band of Outsiders “day” looks were presented in a steamy spa-like atmosphere.
THE VERDICT: Band of Outsiders Spring 2011 collection truly offers something for everyone. Both men’s classic staples, and more rustic options. From the women’s ethereal earth tone gowns, to menswear inspired women’s wear, nearly every stylistic preference is represented in this collection. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing the wooden wrap wedges and lightweight dresses of the Girl collection in particular all over NYC come spring.
See the full photo set here.
All Photos and Content ®2010 Rachel Scroggins/The Greyest Ghost.